Tonya, if you are reading this you have two options. You can quit reading and be surprised OR you can keep reading knowing that you are going to spoil the surprise of what your blanket looks like. Knowing you, you are going to keep reading. LOL.
So for the rest of you, here is the story. My friend Tonya was pregnant. She bought bedding for her new baby and asked me if I could make a faux chenille blanket. I have made them before and while they can be a pain in the butt I love Tonya enough to do it. Here is the pillow that I was given to match (the colors are a little off in my photo sorry):
So I packed up the pillow and headed off to the fabric store. And another. And another. I think I had visited ten or so by the time I found the perfectfabrics that matched. For those who aren't aware, I have some OCD issues. Several have to do with colors matching. So when I tell you this pillow and the blanket match, they probably couldn't match much better if I had used the same fabric from the factory.
So the process for this blanket is that you stack a bunch of fabrics on top of each other and then sew channels the same width apart. Then you cut the top layers (three for this blanket) and leave one for the base and one for the backing. I used a spray adhesive so it wouldn't slip around. This was a good thing and a bad thing. If we revisit that ODC issue I'm very particular about my sewing. I had to rip out a bunch of stitches because there was a fold and well, it looked crappy!
So here we have the blanket sewn, cut and with the binding on.
And again after being washed and dried to fluff up the layers. It will fray more on the edges (the desired effect) the more it is washed.
I'm very pleased with the final results (you don't always hear that from me!!). Maybe not so much with my pictures since they were taken at night with the flash. I may do them again tomorrow in natural light.
Heather
Thursday, November 13, 2008
Look what I made!
Posted by Heather at 8:10 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
It is beautiful!!! My goodness Heather, I had no idea you could do this!
Damn, you do know me! And, well, after you mentioned it to me last night I had no other choice than to look at your blog this morning. ;)
It looks great! I feel so loved! I can't wait to get my hands on it. I wonder if I will share it with baby... lol
WOW TONYA! You and Little M are lucky girls! :-) Awesome job Heather!
Post a Comment