CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, October 31, 2008

TRICK OR TREAT!

Halloween. My least favorite holiday of the year. I'm not sure why I don't like it. The only think I can come up with (I've been thinking lots about this lately) is that I feel like an idiot when I get dressed up. 


The other thing I don't like about Halloween is the candy. I'm not against candy per say, but it just breaks my heart when all of the options are peanut butter or have a peanut warning on them. Since we have a child who is anaphylactic to peanuts we have to be very careful about what he eats. He has always added "no peanuts please" to his "trick or treat" and we have gotten some very rude responses from so called "adults". Just because you are 50 doesn't mean that you deserve to be called an adult. He is not being picky about his candy begging, he is trying not to die. He is participating in a national holiday, a normal childhood experience in the only way he knows how.

So if you don't have a peanut free option in your candy stash please take a few minutes to run out and get one. Skittles, Starburst, Nerds, SweetTarts, Laffy Taffy, and Tootsie Roll (and suckers) should all be safe candies. A quick read on the back label will let you know if it is ok. By law there should either something under the ingredients that reads contains: peanuts (or tree nuts) OR it may say processed in a facility that use peanuts. These are obviously not safe options. 

My son and I thank you for your effort in making Halloween a little more enjoyable for everyone.

Heather

1 comments:

Vicki said...

In thoughts of Drew and Kaden's friend Shaylee, I had my sis purchase licorice for her treats. LOL she thought I was being overly cautious as she was only donating the candy to a group party, but I told her to read the back and find out if it was nut free. Man, you guys have opened my eyes!