CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, August 12, 2008

It is I, the delinquent blogger.

Florida was fabulous! Things got busy and I didn't have much time online. You can see the highlights on Allison's blog.

I only had 2 days to get unpacked and ready for my surgery day. And I had a lot of running around to do in those two days as well. A girl needs to be as ready as possible before major surgery so I made sure I had a massage and a visit to the chiropractor before my big day.

Six thirty AM. The person in charge of scheduling obviously wasn't made aware of my dislike of mornings since that was the time I was given to be at the surgical center. Six freaking thirty in the AM. And to make things worse I had to take a 10 minute shower the night before and the morning of surgery. Ten minutes lathering my torso over and over again. I almost dislike showers as much as dislike mornings. I had to set a timer to make sure I was in there long enough. It really doesn't take that much time to wash your hair (condition too) and wash your body. Five minutes is long for the whole routine. Ten minutes on my torso?!?!?! I managed it though. We got the kids in the car and dropped them off with my dad and we were off.

Checking in was pretty painless. I had forked over the hefty fee the day before so I only had to fill out a couple of papers authorizing surgery, giving the ok to transport me if something were to go wrong, etc. Then it was off for a highly fashionable hospital gown and an iv. Oh and lets not forget the sexy hospital socks.

Dr. Kjar came in and drew all over me with his magic pen. While doing so he informed me that I have no butt. I need to remember to ask him about that at my next appointment. I'm not sure if he was surprised and thought he was going to have to do some lipo in that area or what, but it was funny when he said it. I guess when you are going in for a tummy tuck the Dr. must expect something different. I've worked long and hard for the toned legs, butt, arms and abs I have. The abs were just hidden by a bunch of skin and some fat. LOL.

After speaking to the anesthiaologist about my sensitivity to all of his drugs (I have always treasured sleep and apparently forced sleeping is no different) I was off to the OR. No time was wasted getting me under and just like that it was more than five hours later. I'm not sure exactly what time I woke up, but I was in recovery for longer than expected. There were a few issues with my blood pressure dropping so they gave me something a couple of times to help out. A few days ago I told my hubby that I didn't think the morphine they gave me for pain did much. He laughed and said sure it did. You were out cold as soon as it hit your system.

I won't lie and say recovery has been easy but it could have been MUCH worse. I have been sore more than in pain for the majority of the last week. The drains sucked big time. No pun intended. They hurt a little more every day (as they were draining less) and I finally got them out on Monday. This meant that I could finally have a shower today after letting the drain openings close up for 24 hours or so. Talk about exercise! I needed a nap to be able to get in the shower. I'd be fast asleep right now if the kids were behaving and going to bed themselves. I'm feeling better every day and I'm off my pain pills and taking extra strength Tylenol. Having no more pain pills left made that choice easy. I was only using the "good stuff" to go to bed at night since I have a hard tiem getting comfortable.

I haven't taken any after photos yet but it has been one week exactly so that is my goal for the day. I'll share shortly.

Thank you to all my friends and family who have helped me out with this. Both emotionally and otherwise. I've had help with the kids, with dinners, calls to see how I'm doing and flowers & cards to let me know I'm being thought of. Every single thing has made me smile and feel loved. So thank you again!

Heather

2 comments:

buttafly said...

Thanks for sharing your experiences Heather. You're so honest and to the point! ;) Actually I really do find it all very fascinating... I hope to do a little surgery in the future! Get feeling better soon so you can go out and show off your new body!

Sandy said...

Happy to hear you are doing well. Keep resting! It will make the whole process go faster!
Wish I was there to hang out with you while you recover! Can't wait to see the photos. Miss you!