CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, June 03, 2008

You were doing what??

Two nights ago during our goodnight routine my 9 year old was acting a bit strange. He seemed to be evasive and wanted me out of his room quick. So I asked what was up. The "nothing" came WAY too fast so I asked again. He showed me a torn scrap of paper he had hidden under the covers. I asked what it was for and he finally came clean.

He was hiding a book under the covers. No big deal, except it was past bedtime. What book was worth staying up and risking the wrath of Mom?

Breads for Breakfast. It is a cookbook on baking breads that he checked out from the library last week.

I don't mind him cooking, in fact I told him I'm going to get him trained so he can be in charge of dinner by the time he is in jr. high. But it was hysterical that he was hiding it under the covers to read with a flashlight.

He is actually quite the little cook. He has made a handful of items for the family, most with very little or no help from a parent (though I do like to keep track of what he is doing so he doesn't lose a finger. Or two. Or worse.) He has made calzones, an apple pie (from real apples!!), some chocolate dessert (I wasn't here for that), banana stuffed french toast (baked in the oven). He loves to help with things like Hamburger Helper on the rare occasions I make it. He got a great children's cookbook for Christmas (I'll have to look up the title tomorrow).

I found a children's cooking class that I'm going to get him signed up for this summer. Hopefully it will teach him the basics, including kitchen safety, and I can have my own personal chef in 2 or 3 years!

Heather

1 comments:

Laura said...

Hi Heather! Glad you found my post on MIM triathlon and Malaika's weekend in Memphis. I hope I didn't embarrass her or anything! She's awesome and would totally be my personal trainer if I lived in Utah!!!!

Sounds like you have some fantastic kids!!!